Published Weekly - Vol I No 1 - May 1, 2000 - Edited by Dick Bucknum & Bob Blackmer


Scituate, Colonies: April 23, 1676


Though the town is still reeling from the recent loss of the leader of its militia and 15 of its ablest bodied men, it's attentions have now been sadly drawn to the vicious assault set upon it two days ago by the Wampanoags. Early on the morning of the 21st, a large contingent of the tribe crossed the Union Bridge and, using the woods to the north for cover, crept west a mere 40 rods until reaching the property of William Blackmore.
Upon hearing their War cry, Mr. Blackmore armed himself with his musket and knife and valiantly set out to intercept the raiders, hoping to delay them from reaching the house until his wife and family could make their escape.
Mrs. Blackmore, with her 14 month old babe in arms, desperately sought to make safe-shelter at the Block House. With all of her strength she prodded her children those 50 rods south and east to the river. Her eldest son Peter, half carrying his young sister Phebe, constantly urged on his brother John towards their goal. As they neared their safety, she noticed the change in the pitch of the battle and, glancing back, lost all hope for her beloved husband as she saw the flames consuming what had been their life and the Indians rapidly gaining on her remaining family. As she mustered her children through the door of the Block House, the small band of men poured their shot into the mass of red terrors before them.
Here this determined group consisting only of the infirmed, the aged, and children, stood strong and proud. Though a fierce battle ensued, the savages soon decided to head on toward the Garrison. Again, the Hand of God had sustained us, while the noble efforts of Mr. Blackmore had given his family time to reach safety and us time to mount a defense.
This was not the first time Brother Blackmore gave so selflessly. It was only eight years ago that he lost an eye defending against another indian raid. How many times has he come to our town's defense since 1674 when Philip ordered the assassination of John Sassamon, a loyal Indian friend to the Colony and valued interpreter, and the Colony finally decided to take decisive action against him?
Though the Colony believed that the savagery of John's murder at Assawompsett Pond in Middleborough and the concealment of his body through a hole cut in the ice was such a flagrant and hostile act, we empounded a jury which were added six "of the most indifferent, gravest and sage Indians to help to consult and advice with,". Their words"We of the jury, one and all, both English and Indians, do jointly and with one consent agree upon a verdict; that Tobias, and his son Wampapaquan, and Mattashirrinarno, the Indians, who are the prisoners, are guilty of the blood of John Sassamon, and were the murderers of him according to the bill of inditeniente." led the Commissioners of the United Colonies this last October to authorized the enlistment of 1000 men to prepare for hostilities against King Philip.
At this same time, Philip employed the aid of the Nipmucks and began conducting extensive raids of Scituate.
Just this past month, Scituate's contingent of men assigned to the Colony was led into ambush and completely wiped out. The Town Council appealed to the Commissioners to muster a force within the town, but the Colony could not raise the necessary quota and denied the request. This was the situation on that twenty-first day of April. We were left with nothing but the ragged to defend ourselves and needed the time given in Brother Blackmore's sacrifice.

*In 1662 Philip became Chief of the tribe upon the death of his brother. Between that time and 1674, there were almost yearly instances of him being called before the Plymouth Council to answer charges of conspiring against the Colony. Almost a month to the day following the attack of April 21st, the indians next attack came. Many of those valiant defenders of the stand at the Block House were not given any forewarning nor time to prepare and lay dead when it had ended.

A. L. Blackmer Company
Fine Cut Glass since 1894

Arthur L. Blackmer founded the A. L. Blackmer Company, a glass cutting shop, in New Bedford, Massachusetts in 1894 after nine years in the employ of the Mt. Washington Glass Company. His company was incorporated in 1902 with Blackmer as treasurer and manager. He also worked as a salesman for the company and as a representative of the National Association of Cut Glass Manufacturers. He would hire a regular designer but worked with the employee, teaching them the high standards he demanded in his products. At customers' requests, he tried to produce a cheaper ware that did not come up to the high standards he had set for his company. The corporation liquidated in 1916. In just 20 years of existence, the A. L. Blackmer Cut Glass Company with its line of products are still highly respected to this very day for their quality of craftsmanship.

Classified - Help Wanted

EDITOR NEEDED immediately for no paying job with great rewards! Weekly publication desires someone with journalism experience and interest in history for The Blackmer Times-Gazette or will hire the right person with good attitude who would love the opportunity to present to all site members the history of our family. APPLY by contacting Bob Blackmer at email address: bob@blackmer.net

JOURNALISTS NEEDED immediately for the opportunity to be held in high esteem by your cousins! Weekly publication desires individuals with reporting experience and eye for news for The Blackmer Times-Gazette. APPLY by contacting Bob Blackmer at email address: bob@blackmer.net


Dunleith, IL: April 24, 1866

Frank Ashley Burt was born to Charles and Marianna this day. Mr. Burt, son of the pioneer Daniel Raymond Burt, was born May 11, 1838, at Waterloo, Grant County, WI, at that time Northwest Territory. His early life was passed in the wilderness. "Until eight years of age," he writes, "I had for playmates Winnebago, Chippewa and Menomonee Indian boys and girls. In boyhood I was obliged to milk from four to six cows, with the thermometer at Zero to 25 degrees below, and until twelve years of age I had to go a mile to a log school house with slab benches and shake roof." From the primitive school of the frontier he went to Platteville (Wis.) Academy, where he continued his education until 1855, after which he studied for a year at Bell's Commercial College, Chicago. At nineteen years of age he entered business with his father at Dunleith, manufacturing reapers and mowers, shingle machines, etc. He was elected mayor 3 years ago. Mr. Burt married, September 11, 1861, Marianna Blanchard of Concord, NH, daughter of Charles P. Blanchard. They have one other child, Angelo Raymond Burt.

Rich, MI: April 28, 1917

Martin Lewis Blackmer, son of Homer and Merena, was born 80 years ago this date. Martin served as a Private in the 10th MN HW Artillery, Company from June 11, 1863 til July 1865, when he was discharged with sight and hearing disability. After the war he settled in MI, first living at Flint, then Flushing, Rollo, Burlington, Wells, and finally around the turn of the century moving here. At his side, as she has been for over 50 years, stands his bride the former Harriet E. Porter. They have been blessed with thirteen wonderful children, all but two who are alive to join their father in this momentous milestone of his rich life. Homer Justin, who lives locally, along with his children Nellie McTaggart, Minnie Hammond, and Clarence. John Francis of Lapeer, along with his children Dora Putman, and her children Lloyd, Roy, Robert, Thelma, Donald and Lillian; William, and his children Olive, Carl, Clayton, and Pearl; Mabel Goss; Ethel Kellogg, and her son Elton. DeLovis of Lapeer, along with his children Della, Eva, Albert, Lewis, John, Elwood, Ruby, and Walter. William of Almont, along with his children Dorothy and Albert. Edwin, an auto factory assembler at Pontiac, along with his daughter Hazel. Frank, of North Branch, along with his daughter Bessie. Harriet Elizabeth Smith, of Dayton, along with her children Oddie, William, Anna, Ray, and Lewis. Charles Martin, who lives locally, along with his son Lyle. Anna Smith of Dayton, along with her children Dortha and Naomi. Ernest Wellington of Dayton, along with his children Martin, Edna, Mary, Clarence, Edwin, Leeman, and Hulda. Erie, a farmer at Deerfield. And his brother Lafayette Henry Blackmer of New York also sends best wishes.


Columbus, OH: April 25, 1903

For more than a half century Nathan Ellis Lovejoy has been a leading, well known and highly respected business man of Columbus, OH. As the day with its morning of hope and promise, its noontide of activity, its evening of completed and successful effort, ending in the grateful rest and quiet of night, so is the life of Nathan E. Lovejoy. His life has been at all times actuated by high and honorable principles and he never chose the second best, but sought always those things which lead to advancement and progress, both for the city and the individual. In the Maine Wesleyan Seminary Nathan E. Lovejoy pursued his education. He was recognized as a man of strong intelligence and his broad learning enabled him to successfully engage in teaching in early manhood. For a number of years he specialized in educational work as a teacher of mathematics. Later he studied architecture and came to the west to practice his profession, settling in Columbus in the early 1850s. Thus for a half century he has been identified with the interests of this city and his labors constituted an element in its business development and substantial upbuilding. After his arrival here he devoted some years to business as a draftsman and architect, and later turned his attention to the lumber business, opening a yard at Third street, where he remained for forty years. As the years passed he developed an extensive and profitable business, being recognized for a long period as one of the most prominent lumber merchants of the city. An enterprising business man, he accomplished what he undertook by reason of his force of character, his recognition of opportunity and his ready adaptability. He never waited, Macabre-like, for something to turn up, but sought out new plans and methods to advance his business interests and became one of the foremost representatives of the trade circles of the city. In the early years when he was conducting business as an architect, he planned many of the old substantial structures of the city. In his later years he has been intensely interested in the manufacture of violins, getting great pleasure from his work in this connection, and at all times he has been actively concerned in the city's welfare, withholding his cooperation and support from no movement which he believed would contribute to the public progress. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Lovejoy were born six Children, but only two are living. The elder, J. R. Lovejoy. is the vice president of the General Electric Company of New York City, with headquarters at Schenectady, NY, while Ellis L. is a mining engineer of Columbus. Both sons are graduates of Ohio State University. Mr. Lovejoy belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and gave his early political support to the Whig party while later he became a stalwart advocate of the Republican cause. In his citizenship, in his business relations and in social circles he commanded confidence.

For more information on Blackmer Family, contact:
Bob Blackmer (bob@blackmer.net)
Administrator Blackmer Community Center


Belchertown, MA: April 24, 1901

Alanson Leroy Blackmer was born August 04, 1843 and the third generation to be born here since his great grandfather Barnabas moved to Belchertown following the Revolutionary War. In his youth, Alanson was a farmer and later established a business as a wholesale dealer in wrapping paper. For many years he served on the finance committee for the Congregational Church. He is survived by the former Mary Amanda Sadler, his wife of 43 years, three sons: Leroy, Walter, and Lewis, and two grandchildren: Dora and Raymond, his mother: Electa, and a brother: Gardner. Leroy lives nearby in Lee, MA. The Reverend Walter Blackmer graduated Hartford Theological Seminary this past year and is currently serving as the assistant pastor for the Congregational Church at Marietta, OH. Lewis will continue working in the wrapping store which Alanson established.

Chelsea, MA: April 25, 1911

Washington Alonzo Blackmer was born January 24, 1832 in Boston, MA and is the sixth generation to be born in Massachusetts since his ancestor William immigrated to Scituate in 1666. Mr. Blackmer enlisted on September 3, 1860 in Company B of the 1st Infantry Regiment of the Regular Army and served at Fort Cobb in the Indian Territory. During the Battle of Sedalia, MO he suffered from frostbite and required amputation of his toes. He was then transferred to New York City and served as an orderly to General Dix for the remainder of the Civil War. After his discharge he remained in NYC, married the former Letitia Templeton and worked as a clerk. His wife died in 1870, when their only child was but 3 years old and due to his disability he felt that it was best the child be brought up by his brother Greene. Mr. Blackmer has been living in the Veterans home here for the past several years and is survived by his daughter Clara Sawyer of Dorchester and two granddaughters: Ruth and Elsie Sawyer. He was last of his generation to pass on, having lost his brother Greene 10 years ago, Charles 5 years ago, and his sister Caroline Sholes just this past December.


In 1935, Sidney Blackmer stars with Shirley Grey in The Girl Who Came Back. You simply must see this riveting drama about a gangster's moll as she struggles to break free of her past and find acceptance in a more respectable environment.


Rochester, NY: April 25, 1861
Newton E Blackmer, 19 year old son of Ezra, enlisted as a Private in D Company of the 13th NY Infantry Regiment

East Saginaw, MI: April 27, 1863
Private Robert Blackmer, 32 year old son of Homer, received a disability discharge at Bowling Green, KY from Company B of the 23rd MI Infantry Regiment.

Crockery, MI: April 29, 1863
George W Prentice, 18 year old son of John, enlisted as a private in I Company of the 1st MI Cavalry Regiment.

Maquoketa, IA: April 27, 1864
Private Marcus D Murray, 49 year old son of Noah, while serving in G Company of the 8th IA Cavalry Regiment, has died of disease at Nashville, TN.

Bloomingdale Center, MI: April 28, 1865
Private Sylvanus Bush, 33 year old son of John, while serving in D Company of the 13th MI Infantry Regiment was admitted to Harper Hospital following the Battle at Goldsboro, NC.

Graniteville, VT: April 29, 1919
Corporal Maurice N Smith, 29 year old son of Gordon, received an honorable discharge from Company F, 101st Ammunition Train, 26th Division.